【Ethiopia／Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers Activities Report】 A bright future for Ethiopian children through sport
- Time Period
- 1 October, 2014 – 30 September, 2016
- Ethiopia・Amhara region, Debre Markos
- Sport/Programme Category
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) JOCV：TAISEI KURINO（physical education）
- Recipient Organisation
- Debza elementary school and a further 5 schools
- Amhara region sports committee (East Gojjam Sports Office)
- Number of Individual Beneficiaries
- 1,400 people
’Providing an opportunity for sport with a single ball, one ball which lets you teach, one ball which can be used for projects that make people smile’ – some of the slogans used in the ‘One Ball’ project we launched.To boost awareness of the value of sport in Ethiopia, in Bahir Dar in northern Ethiopia, a football tournament involving a total of 534 children in 12 cities, including Meki in the south, was held as part of a project to promote sports education. At present, with activity focused on a school in Debre Markos in the north, around 1,400 children have been provided with the opportunity to engage in sport.
With this project, as well as providing children with the chance to take part in sport, their autonomy and cooperation were boosted by letting them take part in more managerial tasks such as refereeing, helping prepare them for the rigours they will have to undergo in society.
From the Amhara region sports committee (East Gojjam Sports Office)