Junior Sports Asian Exchange Convention
- Time Period
- August 23 to 29, 2016
- Sport/Programme Category
- Badminton, table tennis
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government (Bureau of Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games Preparation)
- Recipient Organisation
- Foreign affairs department of each city
- Tokyo Sport Benefits Corporation Tokyo Metropolitan Badminton Association, Tokyo Table Tennis Federation
- Number of Individual Beneficiaries
- (1) Hosting of the games: 242 people (Breakdown: 23 people from Bangkok, 26 from Jakarta, 22 from Kuala Lumpur, 19 from Seoul, 26 from Taipei, 18 people each from Delhi, Hanoi, Manila, Singapore, Ulaanbaatar, Yangon, 9 people each from Hong Kong, Tomsk) (2) Players' exchange party (3) Tokyo junior high school visit: 230 people (Breakdown: 21 people from Bangkok, 22 from Jakarta, 20 from Kuala Lumpur, 19 from Seoul, 22 from Taipei, 18 people each from Delhi, Hanoi, Manila, Singapore, Ulaanbaatar, Yangon, 9 people each from Hong Kong, Tomsk)
This project was implemented from 2007 with the aim of promoting international exchanges and competitiveness by hosting popular badminton and table tennis competitions in Asia. Junior players from Asian cities who are responsible for the next generation are invited and opportunities for international exchange through sports are created.(1) Hosting of the games: 17 badminton teams and 19 table tennis teams, including domestic teams such as participants from areas affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake. (2) Players’ exchange party: In a peaceful atmosphere after games or practices, the players enjoyed mingling using multi-language translation apps, etc. (3) Cultural exchange (Tokyo junior high school visit): Through activities such as experiencing Japanese culture and having exchanges through junior high school students in classes, the intercultural exchange among the young generation was deepened.
Feedback from Participant :
○ It is operated at a high level. ○ I feel that it is beneficial for children to experience a global atmosphere and the world of sports in each country through such sports competitions and to expand their international perspective.